The Cornerstone Child Advocacy Center exists to change those numbers and lead the fight against the cycle of child abuse through a stronger, more approachable model. And over the past year, we’ve made significant progress by providing 49 forensic interviews, initiating 7 new therapy cases, and referring children in our community to medical exams. Victim support and advocacy was provided 227 times. On-site case coordination services were provided 200 times.
2020 BY THE NUMBERS
Who We Serve
- 99% of victims at WV CAC’s knew their abuser. Abuse is a crime of secrecy.
- 98% of children seen at the Cornerstone CAC knew their alleged offender
- 70% of cases reported to WV CAC’s were sexual abuse
- 64% of children who visited the Cornerstone CAC due to reports or concerns of sexual abuse
- Of the 42 cases of sexual abuse reported to the Cornerstone Child Advocacy Center last year, over half revealed a disclosure of sexual abuse by the child
- 16.5% increase in the number of new children served at Cornerstone since last year
- 42% of children served at Cornerstone were too young to attend grade school (age 6 or under)
How Many Served
- Cornerstone Child Advocacy Center served 27 new children in the first half of 2015
- WV CAC’s are seeing 82% more cases than in 2009. Because our model works, more children are coming to our CAC
What We Provided
- 25 forensic interviews in the first half of 2015
- 7 new children received therapy sessions
- 7 children received medical exams
What Caregivers Are Saying
- 98% agreed that their child felt safe at West Virginia CAC’s.
- 99% said if they knew anyone else with a situation like their family was facing, they would tell that person about West Virginia CAC’s.
How This Benefits Our Community
- The CAC model saved taxpayers in our community $69,102 in investigative expenses this year.
- If the Cornerstone CAC hadn’t intervened, the estimated lifetime costs of abuse for the children we served last year would have been $6,510,372.
Help Us Help Children Heal.
In order to continue helping children in our community begin their path to healing from abuse, we need your help. Every dollar you donate will go directly back to supporting children here in our local community — helping promote justice for them, connecting them to healing services, and ending the cycle of abuse. DONATE TO Cornerstone